The Trustees of Big C are offering student bursaries to enable students to gain experience in scientific research or support a medical elective period. The purpose of the awards is to encourage students to consider a career/research associated with cancer.
Nature of awards
The awards provide support for students to a maximum of £175 per week for up to eight weeks.
Applications are reviewed twice yearly and must be submitted to the following deadline dates: 31st March and 30th September. Applications will be circulated to the members of Big C’s Grants Committee for comment. If the majority of Committee members are supportive of an application then it may be approved and the applicant notified within four weeks of the deadline. Approvals made in this way will be endorsed at the next Grants Committee meeting. Late applications will not be considered but may be carried over to the next meeting.
Research expenses are not offered under this scheme but if the project cannot be undertaken unless a specific item is required the Trustees will be willing to consider a request up the a maximum value of £200 in writing from the applicant’s Head of Department.
• must be cancer related
• may be a research project or a visit to another department/ laboratory/hospital; this can be out of region and abroad.
• must have clear objectives which are achievable by the student in the time available
• have ethical and research approval if appropriate
• must not involve research on animals
• should not be part of degree work
Informal discussions and advice on potential grant applications are available by calling 01603 619900.